As part of our SEJ interview series, none other than Guy Kawasaki joins us to share some of his invaluable advice about content marketing and launching new products.
When Guy isn’t launching his own products, he’s advising some of the world’s biggest brands on how to launch theirs. Content marketing has proven to be a highly effective tool when it comes to launching a new product. Guy has graciously given us some of his time to share tips on how content marketing can be used as part of a successful product launch.
Hear his advice in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- Start building your social media following the moment you decide you’re going to have a product, Guy suggests. It takes at least a year to build a solid following.
- Position yourself as an expert in your respective niche by sharing excellent content. The idea behind this is after building a reputation by providing great content you will have earned the right to promote your product when it’s finally done.
- Guy is an expert as not only leveraging his own platform to promote a new product, but other people’s platforms as well. He provides some tips on this, with the first one simply being to have a product other people want to be affiliated with.
- Guy is a big believer in paying it forward. He helps almost everyone who asks for it, and they more often than not reciprocate when he needs a favor.
- Guy has a unique process for launching a product. He crowdsources feedback from day one, long before the product is even finished.
- Guy’s thinking behind giving away his content before it’s finished is that there’s always someone smarter out there who can provide feedback to make it better. He has received hundreds of suggestions from people that all help to refine the content of his books before they’re launched.
- Releasing content in the early stages also helps to build evangelists for his products since they feel more personally invested in it. There is always tremendous word of mouth buzz when Guy launches a new book.
Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.