One of the most popular questions which our potential customers usually ask is the following question: which domain name to choose for work with western search engines?
However, it`s good when this question is asked at once, but not at the stage when it is necessary to promote a site for the residents of Lincolnshire with the domain “ru” in Google.co.uk.
I want to clarify one important point: there are two levels of geo targeting:
- A country level
- A level of a city or region (state, province, etc.)
In terms of promotion these levels are two separate planets with almost different methods of promotion. We`ll consider only geo targeting at a country level and main questions related to this theme in this article. We will speak about choosing a domain name, using “correct” language, hosting and other small but important tricks:
- Correct geo targeting: general provisions
- Choosing a domain name for sites promotion in the U.S. and Europe
- Countries localization within the same domain
- Other factors related to geo targeting
Correct geo targeting: general provisions
For the beginning, let’s consider such private and “pure” cases, as a promotion of a French site in Canada or an English site in the UK. Most of the examples given below are based on these cases.
I would like to list some features of western sites promotion:
1. The first thing which is important to consider is that most of countries in the world (except Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, and Czech Republic) are countries which use Google, so this article will be all about geo targeting in this search engine.
Fig. 1. Search engine market in the USA
Google has about 65% of search market in the USA now (the USA are the most popular object of interest from the side of sites owners), so you need to be guided by Google while promoting sites in the United States. Although, it is worth mentioning that other reputable search engines (Yandex in Russia, a bunch of Yahoo / Bing in the U.S. and others) do not differ from the “champion” a lot.
2. The second point is that Google has its own local versions of the basic search engine for each country. I.e. French users search not in Google.com, but in Google.fr, German users search in Google.de etc.
3. The third moment which needs to be remembered – if target audience speaks, for example, Spanish or English, selecting countries and search engines for their promotion needs to be specified exactly.