SEO category is sponsored by SEO PowerSuite. All the SEO tools you'll ever need under one roof. Track rankings, analyze competitors, build links and do on-page SEO with ease. Get your free copy now!
In the video below, Greg explains some things local SEOs are doing wrong and how they could be doing better.
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- What Greg sees most is local SEOs and small businesses who don’t understand how important NAP information is — which includes name, address, and phone number.
- There are so many small businesses that, at some point in their existence, have either moved locations or changed phone numbers. The problem is that those businesses don’t do anything to clean up all the incorrect citation information.
- A lot of local SEO agencies will start working with these businesses and won’t think to ask if they have ever moved or if they have ever changed phone numbers.
- The local SEOs may never know there’s a whole mess of incorrect information out there they need to clean up, and that really hurts these businesses when there are multiple addresses and phone numbers floating around confusing the local algorithm.
- Adding to the above point, the PPC guys will tell you that’s OK because the search engine spiders are going to crawl the page and see the number that’s hard-coded. However, the problem is if you’re feeding in all of these different dynamic phone numbers then inevitably someone is going to see your website and publish the number that’s being displayed, so you’re going to end up with various numbers making their way out on the Internet. Over time, these dynamic phone numbers will start to appear online and then that just creates more work for you to clean up.
- Greg strongly advises against call tracking, unless you’re dealing with a company that offers “manual” call tracking.
- If you use call tracking, but you’re not using the data in the report, then Greg asks why not get rid of your call tracking and do local SEO correctly? That way you will get more phone calls because you’re ranking better.
For more video interviews please visit SEJ’s YouTube page.