A lot of sites are getting hit with penalties lately as Google cracks down on negative SEO. Website owners want answers and Brian is here to provide them.
You have to identify first whether it’s a filtered penalty or a manual action and then decide how to proceed. Google has made it a lot easier to identify penalties, which helps when figuring out what you have to do to recover from them.
Hear Brian explain more about this in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- By verifying your website with Google Webmaster Tools you will be able to see if your site has been hit with a manual action penalty.
- A manual action may not impact your site, it might just impact the links pointing to your site, so make sure you read the description for each manual action very carefully.
- Google Webmaster Tools will tell you if there is something to be concerned about in regards to your backlink profile. It might be a major penalty that impacts your domain, in which case you will need to do some additional research.
- If you receive a manual action there is a button for a reconsideration request, which will prompt Google to reassess your site after you have done what is necessary to correct the penalty.
- Brian suggests the best way to identify if you have been hit with a penalty without receiving a manual action is to check your analytics.
- A sudden loss in traffic could indicate a penalty. Also, monitoring your backlinks for a sudden spike in questionable looking links may be a sign that you’re soon to be hit with a penalty if you haven’t been already.
If you have any questions after watching the video, please ask them in the comments section and I will do my best to respond to everyone! Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.