As part of our SEJ interview series, Arnie Kuenn of Vertical Measures joined us at SMX West to discuss the idea of content shock.
Content shock is the concern that we, as marketers, are producing too much content. Are we burning out our audience by overwhelming them with content?
Arnie discusses this in more detail in the video below:
Here are some key takeaways from the video:
- Arnie believes we shouldn’t be concerned with content shock just yet.
- Content has been produced, in some way, since the beginning of time. No matter how much content is out there, the good content always rises to the top.
- Another reason why Arnie doesn’t believe we should be concerned with content shock is because there is always new information becoming available that wasn’t around a few months ago. So content is always staying fresh.
- If you create content people are seeking out, and you do a good job of answering people’s questions, then you don’t have to worry about content shock.
- If you’re thinking of writing about something that has been covered in depth by many other sources already, then maybe you should move on to another topic.
- People only get overwhelmed by content that repeats the same thing over and over again.
Please visit SEJ’s YouTube page for more video interviews.